Friday, September 12, 2008

A Newbie Again


What's a girl to do when she's been out of the game for four years? Bravely jump back in.

Back in 2004, I was feeling pretty good about myself as a writer. I had just finished the fourth book of my Faith of our Fathers Civil War series. Life was good, the painful research was done, and I was ready to move on to something else for a while.

I had a baby.

Mmm hmm. No big deal, really. My husband I had two girls already, and they were 12 and 9. I figured I'd done it before, I could do the baby thing one more time. And it really did feel right, but cute as he was, he refused to sleep. So my writing came to a screeching halt.

Then husband went back to school for a Masters in School Counseling.

Mmm hmm.

So with no new books out and royalties beginning to decline, I decided to fall back on that reliable degree and teach for a bit. I taught 4th grade and still didn't write. I knew if I ever wanted to be a writer again, I had to get back into the groove.

So now I teach preschool three mornings a week and write while my almost 4-year-old son...still doesn't sleep much. But now he plays well while I type away.

The best news of all is that my newest book will be released in October. Isabelle Webb, Legend of the Jewel has been a long time in coming and it is, so far, my favorite of my 9 published books. The setting is 1865 British Colonial India, and the main character was a character in my Civil War series, so readers of those four books will recognize her.

My website will be up and running soon- I'm putting the final touches on it now. To my readers who have been so incredibly patient, I say a million thanks and I hope you enjoy Isabelle Webb.

Cheers!

6 comments:

Cheri J. Crane said...

Your blog-site looks way cool. Good job and best of luck with your new book. I can't wait to read it!

Kerry Blair said...

I'm so glad you (and Isabelle) are back! You've long been one of my favorite writers on the planet, you know.

Love your blog! I can't wait to see your website.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

You guys are so good to me. Thanks. :-)

Jennie said...

Using a phrase you taught me somewhere in the past, "You go, girl!" I'm so glad you're back to writing, so I can go back to reading your great books. You're blog looks great.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

Haha! Thanks, Jennie. I appreciate the support so much.

Thank you, thank you!

Heather B. Moore said...

I love this cover. I'm so glad you have another book coming out!